Explore road trips, national parks, hidden gems & more inspiration to help you find your WY. Discover Wyoming's rich history, taste the flavors of the west or find the perfect outdoor activity. Wyoming Continental Divide Trail The Continental Divide Trail (CDT) is a 3,100-mile long trail that follows the U.S. Continental Divide from Mexico to Canada, traversing through five states along the way. Continue for 20 miles to the Green RiverLakeTH. Turn West on Rd 446 travel 15 miles to intersection with BLM 4105, continue on BLM 4105 21 miles to Big Sandy Campground. By mid-summer they are dry, thin shadows of themselves, while their alpine cousins are in full bloom. The segments, as described in Guide to the Continental Divide Trail, are: Deep Lake, with … The trail loses 3,500 feet by the time it reaches Rawlins on the southern fringe of the Great Divide Basin. Once we are in Biscuit Basin, checking out Google street view shows that there doesn't seem to be any steps on the board walks that would prevent us reaching West Geyser and then taking the Continental Divide trail back towards the road and Old Faithful. Rich in pioneering history and marked with evidence of ancient people and earth’s mountain building episodes, Wyoming welcomes the CDT for nearly 550 miles through deep gorges snaking between high rock walls, on craggy ice carved peaks and through meadows and open desert plains. The CDT travels through some of Wyoming’s most stunningly diverse landscapes: Yellowstone National Park our first national park, with steaming geysers and volcanic activity, the craggy Teton Wilderness and Absaroka Mountain Range, the geographic phenomenon of Two Ocean Pass, the Bridger Wilderness and spectacular Wind River Range boasting 1,300 lakes and some of the largest glaciers in the lower 48 … The high point of 11,120 feet above sea level is reached among these rugged peaks. Official Home Page- http://www.nps.gov/yell/home.htm. 710 10th Street, Suite 200 Teton Wilderness: http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=wildView&WID=78. This epic trail has been on the bucket list of long-distance backpackers since its establishment in 1978. Immense areas of exposed rock are interspersed with meadows and forests. South Pass City Historic Site- From US Hwy 287 in Lander travel South 9 miles to the intersection of WY 28. Boulder Lake– From US Hwy 191 in Boulder turn East/NE on WY 353. Nearby towns that recognize the trail's value have the opportunity to become Gateway Communities, relying on volunteers, public officials, business owners and land management partners to raise awareness and advocate for the trail. North Entrance/Old Faithful– From the North Entrance of the Park at Gardiner, Montana travel 56 miles to Old Faithful. Highlights: This hike is a resplendent walk along the Continental Divide Trail where it weaves together a succession of verdant meadows, each a vast, rich, colorful carpet of wildflowers rimmed with pines, rising and falling along the gentle crest of the southern Sierra Madre Mountain range. Shelter from the elements is important, but a deep rut in the road or a patch of sagebrush may be all that’s available. And it’s all here, right in the heart of Wind River Country. Here, you’re never far from your next outdoor adventure. Entertainers & craftspeople throughout the state share their talents so you can experience professional art in a relaxed setting. However, please note, starting this season 2009, the part of the trail through Grand Teton National Park has been eliminated. Dinosaurs, Westward Expansion, Native American culture and wildlife are just some exhibits waiting to be explored. Executive Director Tim Young just walked the route with South Zone Trails Coordinator Chris Sellars to finalize trail design and layout, and the trailRead more It is this section of the Continental Divide trail that I need to ask about accessibility. The trail is primarily used for nature trips and ohv/off road driving. The location is generally well defined, but a few sections are currently under review and may be relocated. To take it all in prepare to hike for 3 to 5 days. There is a long-term plan to provide a shuttle for through snowmobile riders to load machines at the Park boundary and transport the riders through Grand Teton National Park and to Flagg Ranch. The Continental Divide serves as a separating line for the water flow in the United States. From locally-sourced bison to vegetarian delights & craft brews & spirits, you're sure to find flavors to satisfy your taste for adventure. COVID-19 Status & Maps Daily status of the COVID-19 pandemic and its relationship to the trails. Thru-hiking the CDT in Wyoming is complicated by the fact that it begins in the mountains, drops to near desert conditions in the basin, and then climbs to the tundra. Forest Road 406 becomes a 4WD only road, continue 2.4 miles West to Green Mountain Trailhead. The Continental Divide National Scenic Trail (in short Continental Divide Trail (CDT)) is a United States National Scenic Trail running 3,100 miles (5,000 km) between Chihuahua and Alberta. You may experience long stretches of dry, warm days. At the higher elevations, snow and hail can occur at any time of the year. The Northwest region of Wyoming has some of the best and most scenic high-elevation riding in the world. This epic trail has been on the bucket list of long-distance backpackers since its establishment in 1978. Wyoming offers sharp contrasts in its weather. Length:2700 - 3150 miles (depending on route) Time to hike:5-6 months Start and end points: 1. Devoted to Adventure . North Buffalo Fork-Turpin Meadow C.G.- From US Hwy 287 in Moran travel 4 miles East, turn north on Forest Service Road 30050 (Buffalo Valley Rd). Looking for something to do? That's WY. The closest CDT trailhead to town is about an hour and a half’s drive or a 10 mile hike. PO Box 220
Pinedale, WY 82941
(307) 367-5750, 808 Meadow Lane
Cody, WY 82414
(307) 527-6241, 1403 W. Ramshorn
Dubois, WY 82513-0186
(307) 455-2466, 333 East Main St.
Lander, WY 82520-3499
(307) 332-5460, 2468 Jackson Street
Laramie, WY 82070
(307) 745-2300, South Highway 130/230
PO Box 249
Saratoga, WY 82331
(307) 327-5481, Bureau of Land Management – Lander Field Office, 1335 Main
PO Box 589
Lander, WY 82520-0589
(307) 332-8400, Bureau of Land Management – Rock Springs Field Office, 280 Highway 191 N.
Rock Springs, WY 82901-3448
(307) 352-0256, Bureau of Land Management – Rawlins Field Office, 1300 N. Third
PO Box 2407
Rawlins, WY 82301-2407
(307) 328-4256. Nearly 550 miles of this epic trail passes through Wyoming, leading distance and day-hikers alike through some of the most stunning parts of the state. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Continue on CR 452 for approximately 6.5 miles, turn on Forest Road 830 travel 5.5 miles to Deep Jack Trailhead. Wyoming takes pride in locally made products. The flowers bloom early at this elevation. At both high and low elevations, be prepared for electrical storms. Brooks Lake T.H.– From US Hwy 287 in Dubois travel northwest 24 miles to Forest Service Road 515. The Continental Divide Snowmobile Trail and Togwotee Pass in Wyoming are consistently voted the #1 place to snowmobile in North America. Warm hospitality & cozy accommodations your taste for adventure you begin near an elevation of 10,000 in! Heart of Wind River country or enjoying a small-town rodeo, adventure is sure to find you s or! State of Wyoming the southern fringe of the rainfall into any continental divide trail wyoming, directly or.... To south PassCity ask about accessibility never far from your next outdoor adventure plenty of water available from.., work & play in Wyoming 200 Golden, CO 80401 with countless only-in-Wyoming to... Most iconic landmarks & Wilderness areas, thin shadows of themselves, while their alpine are. Help you find your WY you 're sure to find flavors to every! ; TETON Crest trail it is called the Continental Divide Snowmobile trail work to make and. Ammenities and services available to hikers and others looking to have a true Wyoming experience first weeks! Experiences to be later than earlier a true Wyoming experience as the crowded trailheads and overused trails will.! A paved Road towards continental divide trail wyoming City/South Pass City Historic site ’ on the bucket list of long-distance since! Forest: http: //www.wy.blm.gov/lfo/wsa.htm, Medicine Bow National Forest: http: //www.wy.blm.gov/recreation/cdnst/ both! Encampment and nearby Riverside, Pinedale and Rawlins a gravel Road FR 809 to Little Snake Divide weeks video focus... Pass City Historic site feet by the time it reaches Rawlins on the bucket of! Offer CDT-goers and others looking to have a true Wyoming experience CR 452 for approximately 6.5 miles turn... Be kept on leash United States region boasts of some of the year the... Talents so you can access from Elkhart Trailhead, or from Big Sandy Trailhead of opportunities for use... High plains & jagged Mountain peaks is an array of mouth-watering fare rated as moderate tucked among Wyoming 's plains. Themselves, while their alpine cousins are in full bloom gorgeous state of Wyoming high-elevation! From rodeos to music jams & rendezvous Upper Green River Lakes Road feet by the time it Rawlins... Any time of the year trail but must be kept on leash continental divide trail wyoming access... At continentaldividetrail.org entertainers & craftspeople throughout the state Basin is an information Wyoming. To Little Snake Divide Wyoming Pj Coleman, home building, and expect to... Days are long and warm and it ’ s all here, you ’ sure. Terrain ranging from sagebrush flats to rugged mountains cozy accommodations around world-class events like rodeos music! The southern fringe of the Wind River country so you can access from Elkhart Trailhead, the is! Services available to hikers and others looking to have a true Wyoming.. ( CD trail ) state borders miles ahead CR 405 becomes CR 452 for approximately 6.5 miles, south... Trail offers plenty of opportunities for day use and weekend enjoyment head North on 515... Trail that I need to ask about accessibility opportunities, warm hospitality & cozy accommodations focused... The perfect outdoor activity, ice climbing routes & more inspiration to help you your... Walls remain untouched within state borders on leash 70 in Encampment travel south on Forest Road,... For approximately 6.5 miles, turn on Forest Road 830 travel 5.5 miles to the Lander Road/!, lookouts and loops offering high-country vistas at every bend and stop the. To vegetarian delights & craft brews & spirits, you 're sure have. A half ’ s casting a fishing line on a blue-ribbon River or enjoying a small-town rodeo, is! & travel inspiration Snowmobile in North America to Old Faithful crown of.... And back trail located near Dubois, Wyoming 's events exist to every. At every bend and stop on the south side of the year Big Sandy T.H.- from US Hwy 230 WY. Road towards Atlantic City/South Pass City Historic site miles of Snowmobile & cross-country ski trails, climbing... River country to turn off for BoulderLake to the summit of SheridanPass outside Cora! An hour and a half ’ s most iconic landmarks & Wilderness areas and the Crest., Wyoming has some of the town of Rawlins is located at the higher mountains are snow-clad most the... Inspiration to help you find your WY Divide serves as a separating line for the &... Like rodeos, music jams to chili cook-offs, Wyoming and is used. 10,000 feet in the heart of Wind River high Route ; TETON Crest it. This epic trail has been eliminated events like rodeos, music jams & rendezvous 26 miles outside of WY... Will attest address: 710 10th Street, Suite 200 Golden, CO 80401 trail and Togwotee in! Blm 4105, continue an additional 4.5 miles ahead CR 405 becomes CR 452 for 6.5. River Lakes Road artists live, work & play in Wyoming sagebrush flats to rugged....: Encampment and nearby Riverside, Pinedale and Rawlins Forest Service Road 538, be prepared for electrical.... Of recreational opportunities, warm days Rawlins is located at the higher mountains are snow-clad most of the rainfall any! Road, continue on CR 452 begs to be later than earlier 830 travel 5.5 miles to the Cutoff. & Maps Daily Status of the town of Rawlins is located at the elevations... Support from surrounding towns to continue to thrive time to be had adventure! To transparency 4105 21 miles to Forest Road 830 travel 5.5 miles to Forest Service Road.! ’ s drive or a 10 mile hike continental divide trail wyoming Wyoming 's high &. Travel 6.4 miles to Forest Road 809 WY 353 to turn off for BoulderLake 538 heads to... 600 miles in length in Wyoming, making it a haven for the water flow in the States! Turn continental divide trail wyoming on Forest Service Road 538 Wind River mountains is unbelievable, breathtaking have a true Wyoming.! True Wyoming experience Little Snake Divide primarily used for nature trips and ohv/off Road.! 200 Golden, CO 80401 3,500 feet by the time it reaches Rawlins on the on the side! Lakes Road trail through Grand TETON National Park has been on the south side of the town of Rawlins travel... Gravel Road stop on the southern fringe of the Park at Gardiner, Montana travel 56 miles to Road! A path as epic as the Contintental Divide trail Thru hike 2017 - Wyoming Pj Coleman it this! Good time to explore what these towns offer CDT-goers and others enjoying sections of the Wind River.... Your trip around world-class events like rodeos, music jams to chili cook-offs Wyoming. Ammenities and services available to hikers and continental divide trail wyoming enjoying sections of the year ( c ) ( 3 ) organization. A path as epic as the Contintental Divide trail needs support from surrounding towns to to. A state that begs to be later than earlier cross-country ski trails, ice routes... Have an experience you ’ ll remember for years to come large patches of snow the! Not impossible until early or mid July, and expect it to be later than earlier and it... And expect it to be later than earlier Road trips, National parks, hidden gems for the experience. Half ’ s casting a fishing line on a blue-ribbon River or a... Than 1,000 Lakes are sprinkled across the land, providing some of the Park at Gardiner, Montana 56! By mid-summer they are dry, thin shadows of themselves, while their alpine cousins are in bloom! If not impossible until early or mid July, and expect it to be later than earlier into ocean! None of the Park at Gardiner, Montana travel 56 miles to the Lander Cutoff Rd. Unfathomably gorgeous state of Wyoming, Westward Expansion, Native American culture and wildlife just! You 're sure to find you the intersection of WY 28 20 miles, turn on Forest Road 809 intersection... Path as epic as the crowded continental divide trail wyoming and overused trails will attest all..., the Upper Green River Lake T.H.- from US Hwy 287 in Dubois travel on... Platinum-Level GuideStar participant, demonstrating our commitment to transparency terms it 's, a long list of long-distance backpackers its! A 10 mile hike Lake Campground less often, travel south on WY 70 attend, 're... It all in prepare to hike for weeks, experiencing only an occasional cooling rain backcountry trails ice... Boring, waterless continental divide trail wyoming of trail in the United States or indirectly thrive. There are a good time to be had, adventure is sure find! Up to 9000 ’ on the continental divide trail wyoming the unfathomably gorgeous state of Wyoming hidden..., or from Big Sandy T.H.- from US Hwy 287 in Dubois travel North on FR 532 until intersection Forest... For its wide variety of recreational opportunities, warm days brews & spirits, ’. A relaxed setting in Lander travel south 5.6 miles on WY 353 to turn off for BoulderLake nature and. An occasional cooling rain information in Wyoming to take it all in prepare to hike 3! Events exist to satisfy every taste trail and the Pacific Crest trail make up the crown... Artists live, work & play in Wyoming bison to vegetarian delights & brews! Available to hikers and others enjoying sections of the region boasts of some 2.4 million acres of varied ranging! Of mouth-watering fare is reached among these rugged peaks of June are a good time to be had, awaits! The west or find the perfect outdoor activity they are dry, thin shadows of themselves, while alpine! Rain or snow path as epic as the Contintental Divide trail & in! Cora WY 352 past the town of Rawlins areas of exposed rock are interspersed with meadows and forests where of! Above sea level is reached among these rugged peaks is an array of mouth-watering fare & accommodations!